Here are some fun art activities that you can do with your toddler:
1. Make a rainbow water xylophone.
This activity does not only ignite your children’s creativity but also harnesses their musical awareness. It is super easy to prepare and can make your child busy for over about an hour.
What will you need to create a rainbow water xylophone?
- Clear Glass Jars
- Liquid Food coloring
- Metal spoon, metal straws, or chopsticks
Steps to make a rainbow water xylophone:
- Line up the glass jars horizontally.
- Fill up the jars with water in different amounts.
- Drop in different colors of liquid food coloring into each jar of water.
- Ask your children to tap the colored water jars with the spoons, straws or chopsticks. You can have them use these alternately and ask them to observe the different sounds produced by each tool.
2. Make flower decorations out of cupcake liners.
Make your toddlers’ bedroom or study room colorful by making flower decorations. If you love to bake together with your children, you can use the extra cupcake liners for this activity.
There are a lot of cupcake liners that have beautiful designs and these can perfectly be used for this purpose. But even if you have plain cupcake liners, you can surely think about creative ways to make them look more attractive, right?
What you will need to make cupcake liner flower decors:
- Regular cupcake liners
- Mini cupcake liners
- Cotton balls
- Straws or popsicle sticks
Steps to make cupcake liner flowers:
- Put one mini cupcake liner on top of a regular cupcake liner.
- Glue them together in the middle.
- Add a small cotton ball in the middle by gluing it.
- Paint the cotton ball.
- Glue the back of the flower on the popsicle stick or straw.
- Create more paper flowers. You can cut the cupcake liners into different sizes and shapes and see how many varieties you can make.
- Optional: You can also make a vase out of paper cups or glass bottles.
To make this activity more educational, you can talk about how flowers blossom out of plants. You can observe the flowers in your backyard or check the internet for some videos on the growth of flowers.
3. Playdough art activities out of natural ingredients.
Play doughs are among the best toys for children indoors. It does not only make your kids busy for a long time, but it also allows their creativity to flourish.
But then, most commercial doughs contain toxic chemicals that can be harmful to your kids. To solve this dilemma, you can create a play dough out of natural ingredients.
What you will need to make natural play doughs:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups of lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Large pot
- Food coloring
- Small plastic bags
For this art activity, you need to be in your kitchen because you will need a little bit of cooking to formulate the dough.
Steps to make natural play doughs:
- Put the flour, salt, and cream of tartar into the pot then stir.
- Pour water and oil into the mixture. Stir thoroughly.
- Cook over medium heat. Stir constantly.
- Wait for the mixture to thicken and form into a dough-like appearance.
- Turn off the heat then transfer into a large bowl.
- Let the mixture slightly cool down.
- On your kitchen counter, knead the dough.
- Divide the dough into portions depending on how many colors you intend to make.
- Put the dough into the small plastic bags.
- Drop the liquid food coloring into the plastic bag. Seal the bag then knead to prevent the colors from getting into your hands.
- Give the dough to your children then play with them!
- After playing, don’t forget to put the dough back into the plastic bag and seal it tightly to preserve softness.
4. Create a jungle adventure in a basin.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, field trips have been suspended in most schools. Hundreds of zoos and theme parks have also closed down. Despite all these, we can still help our children feel the natural world by using some creativity!
What you will need to make a basin jungle adventure:
- Animal figures
- Cacao powder
Steps to make the basin jungle adventure:
- Collect some grass in your backyard.
- In your kitchen, create a mud mixture by heating water, flour, and cacao powder in a pot.
- Let the mixture cool and transfer in a basin.
- Put the grass you have collected on one side of the basin.
- Go to your activity table and place the muddy basin on it.
- Let your children bring the animal figures on the table.
- Let them put the animals into the basin and allow them to get dirty as they run their imaginations freely.
Staying at home with your toddlers can be fun and educational with these art activities. Never limit your creativity, and you will surely help your children make the most of their time at home during these trying times.